You are here:  Home  >  SOUTHERN TASMANIAN SKI ASSOCIATION NEWS  >  Current Article

More progress despite the weather

By   /  March 26, 2018  /  No Comments

    Print       Email

STSA volunteers headed up to Mt Mawson Ski Field on the weekend of 24-25 March to continue the task of getting the ski field ready for the coming Winter season. The forecast was for rain both days, and so work commenced on Friday evening with the slatting of one of the snow fences at the top of the Mawson run by Peter and Karen Davis. It was a beautiful evening to work and a good start for the working bee.

Karen Davis ready to attach slats to the Mawson snow fence

Saturday dawned wet as forecast, but this did not deter the hardy band of dedicated volunteers who donned overtrousers and coats and tackled a variety of tasks around the mountain. A huge thanks to Simon Allen and Karen Wild-Allen from the Mt Mawson Ski Club who took on the job of manually carrying all the timber needed for the snow fence repairs to the top of the Mawson run. A second snow fence panel was slatted at the top of the Mawson run with the assistance of Wendy James, and later in the afternoon (in a brief break in the weather) Stephen Webber joined Peter and Karen to frame up a new panel ready for slatting on Sunday.

A key task completed was the removal of the old uni tow rope left behind when a new rope had to be installed during the ski season last winter, and the Mawson tow motor was also partially refuelled in readiness for the coming season.

Farewell to an old tow rope – new building taking shape behind.

Ambrose Canning and Adrian Brettingham-Moore tackled the difficult task of removing and replacing UV-damaged alsanite from the Uni Tow hut whilst Wendy James started demolishing the safety fence below the Uni Tow hut ready for re-building at the next working bee.

Wendy James tackles the repair of the safety fence below the Uni Tow hut


Adrian Brettingham-Moore and Ambrose Canning at the Uni tow hut

Overall a lot was achieved on the Saturday by a small but enthusiastic group. The plan was to continue on Sunday, but it was even colder and wetter, so at 9:00 am a decision was made to abandon Sunday’s work program and leave it for a better day (which meant turning around volunteers who were already past New Norfolk on their way to come and help!) The next STSA working bee is scheduled for 28-29 April. By then the feel of winter will really be in the air – and hopefully the fagus will be looking good too. And the new building?? – keep watching the webcam!

    Print       Email

About the author

President, Southern Tasmanian Ski Association

Peter is currently President of the STSA, and a member of the Oldina Ski Club. He has been coming to Mt Field for many years, and is an intermediate skier who can get down most black runs, but without much style.

Leave a Reply